Facts About Construction Site Injuries
An experienced construction accident lawyer serving West Palm Beach knows that injury in the workplace is an unfortunate reality. There are a multitude of causes that lead to on the job accidents, some of which, could possibly be avoided. Construction sites inherently present many hazardous situations. Thousands of workers are injured and an estimated two people are killed every day in construction accidents. If you were injured or a loved one was killed while working on a construction site, an empathetic construction accident lawyer in West Palm Beach may be able to help you through the legal process following the incident. The Law Offices of Franks, Koenig & Neuwelt have provided the following information to educate and prepare you for your next step.
The four most common reasons for death or injury on a construction site are as follows
The following list is in order of occurrence and are referred to as the “fatal four” by Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA):
- Falls- This is the most common cause of injury on the worksite. Workers are typically working from great heights or on the side of the road and are constantly at risk of falling from ladders, scaffolding, cranes, or into holes in the ground.
- Struck by an object- while working construction, one is subject to many hazards including car accidents while working roadside construction; falling materials from above; improper set-up of machinery, ladders or scaffolding;
- Electric shock or Electrocution- proximity to power lines, ground fault, faulty wiring and malfunctioning power tools are all potential causes of electric shock or worse.
- Trapped between objects- construction sites are riddled with heavy objects, there is significant potential for a worker to be crushed by machinery or parts of new construction (i.e., walls and trusses) collapsing on the individual.
Common injuries as a result of construction accidents:
It is important to treat your injury immediately in order to recover as soon as possible, even before you call a West Palm Beach construction accident lawyer. The type and severity of construction site injuries can vary, including:
- Head Trauma including concussion or other head injury
- Neck and back injury including spinal cord damage or disc injury
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue injury
What you can do to protect yourself and your family after your accident:
- State laws vary and it is advised that you understand the laws in your state and how they might affect your claim.
- Workers’ Compensation- it is highly likely that your employer has workers’ compensation. In which case your medical bills and lost wages may be covered. Unfortunately, some employers and their insurance companies are reluctant to offer you what you really need to recover physically, emotionally and financially.
- Personal injury – in some cases, a personal injury claim may be an option. In consulting with a West Palm Beach construction accident lawyer, you will be able to determine your options and how you would like to proceed.
In the event that you were injured in a construction accident, it is imperative that you consult with an Florida attorney in order to be sure you are treated fairly. Many construction accident injuries result in lifelong disability. An experienced construction accident lawyer West Palm Beach will know how to help you understand your injuries and how to assess the long-term impact it will have on your ability to function and work. Call The Law Offices of Franks, Koenig & Neuwelt today!