How many times have we heard scarring stories in the news of individuals getting mauled or bitten by dogs? Have you ever thought about what legal actions you can take if this were to happen to you? It is critical to know the resources available to you and what options you can choose from. A lawyer can help you understand these options and can represent you if you choose to pursue a dog bite case for multiple reasons according to a dog bite lawyer with our friends at the Brandy Austin Law Firm.
Your legal team can help bring a lawsuit which will help cover medical costs, advise you of potential complications, and work to get compensation from the dog owner’s insurance that would be rightfully owed to you. Many times we’ve experienced insurance companies not providing full compensation in regards to the extent of the injury that you believe is compensating enough. But through the use of a law firm they will fight for your best interests and represent your wishes, to help get you the outcome you deem fit as best as possible.
What Actions to Take After Getting Bit:
Across the United States, annually there are 4.7 million people either attacked or bitten by dogs and approximately 12,480 people of those are hospitalized. Dog bites can not only be a scary thing but also be severe, oftentimes requiring a visit to your local hospital. Knowing and understanding the steps you should be taking after the injury is quite important, as it can help you further down the line if you choose to bring forth legal actions. Some steps you should consider taking include:
- Call 9-1-1. It is always best to use caution after getting injured and to ensure the risk of infection is ruled out after a dog bite.
- Calling animal control or letting someone know if there is a potential harm to others.
- After being treated, think about preparing for legal representation through gathering any relevant information. This would include the name and contact information of the owner of the dog and if someone witnessed the attack their information, as well.
- Take photographs and file a report. You should definitely consider taking any pictures of the injuries and damages that occurred to you. After this go to your police precinct and file a report and provide them with all the information you gathered.
- Finally, but most importantly, hire a lawyer. You can decide to hire a lawyer in between any step as they will help you understand the processing of your case and also help in filing any claims pertaining to your case.
Understanding The Importance Of A Lawyer:
Due to some states following the One-Bite Rule, meaning in order to possibly recover damages the injured party must show negligence on the owner’s side, especially considering under this rule owner’s are typically protected from liabilities when it’s the first offense. When deciding to pursue legal damages from a dog bite the best case would be to reach out to a lawyer and get the help you need to help build a strong case on your behalf.